Friday, November 16, 2007

I was reading today in Newsweek about how there will never be another time as the
the 60's for such radical change. As one who lived through the 60's it seems like a thousand years ago. Was there really a time when we couldn't wear pants to school? Did my uncle really have to get the house loan for my mom because as a single women she wouldn't qualify? Sexual harrassment was treated as a joke, with sketches of bosses chasing their secretary around the desk. Which brings me to my #1 thing I don't get. OK...first of all I vote person, not party. And...I'm a registered democrat. Here's what I don't get. How can any women in my generation (baby boomer) who lived through these times of inequality, vote for Hilary. Women's rights have come so far that to even have a hope of a women President is huge! But do we really want that 1st one to be her. After what her husband did to women in general (I know it was consensual, but she was 18 and he was the President), and Hilary kept mum about it, we realize now for political reasons. Women have worked too hard to get the diginity and respect in the work place that men have had for years to vote in someone who gave up her dignity and respect for political aspirations. The first women President is going to make history and it just saddens me that it might be her. All I can say is, "not with my vote."

2 comments:

Cari said...

I agree, Mom!

Anonymous said...

Here! Here!
As a child of the 60's I fully agree-- My vote for a female president would be for a intelligent, peaceful, wonderful woman and grandma like Maya Angelou or a great mom who speaks her mind no matter what the political consequence, like Rosie O'donnell!
Terry O.